Monday, July 2, 2012

Can I Give Motorola Credit?

I know that most don't care about these types of tings, but I sometimes get amazed at how products today are designed, whether for good or for bad. This time, it's for good. Now, I don't own this phone, nor have I ever touched it. Frankly, I do not like Motorola. I generally am always disappointed with what they make. But this time, in one way, I want to give them credit.


When it comes to technology today, the average consumer wants it all; a hot dog with the works, you could say... As far as smartphones and tablets and laptops go, they want them big, bright, fast, powerful, lightweight and innovative. But they also want them to work great, with not one flaw, and they want them to have great battery life. Now this is generally viewed as the ideal product, but achieving this is difficult. The bigger the device, the more power it needs to run. The brighter the screen, the more power it needs to light up. The faster the download speeds, the more power it needs to connect. Battery life is the price paid for innovative features. It's a design rule to date. Until batteries reach a new level in technology, this cannot be avoided.


Motorola, though saw this and worked out a solution. They saw the Droid Razr, this giant device that they had made, apparently realized that the device is huge anyway, and they stuffed a giant 3300 mAh battery in the housing. That is practically twice as big as any other smartphone's stock battery today. It doesn't make the device much heavier and the device is still thinner than others on the market. Everyone wants a big phone today, so if you are making a big phone, fill it with a big battery, right? Motorola did that with the Razr Maxx.



Now, I am not saying that this is a good phone, and I am definitely not telling anyone to buy it. I am just saying that this was a very simple and smart move on the designers' part. It deserves recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment